Monday, May 2, 2011

Working with Struggling Mathematicians

This semester I got to work with a struggling mathematician. Before I began working with Michael I gathered background information from Michael and my cooperating teacher. I learned Michael's interest and what he was struggling with in math. Michael was having a hard time with one-to-one correspondence. I met with Michael several times during the semester to work with him on this. To help Michael better understand one-to-one correspondence I used manipulatives. I also worked with Michael on physically touching each manipualtive as he counted. I used multilink cubes and counters when working with Michael. I assessed Michael with a number knowledge test. I used flash cards with numerals and dots to represent each number and had Michael name the number for each card. I worked with Michael on solving addition and subtraction problems. I gave Michael a set of counters to help him complete the problems. I think Michael learns better with visual representations of the problem. I gave Michael a page of addition problems to solve that had pictures to represent the problems. I suggested to Michael that when he is given a problem that does not have pictures he draw his own pictures to help him solve the problems.
Working with Michael this semester has helped me understand that students may need induvidualized instruction. All students learn differently so as a teacher you must alter your teaching to meet the needs of your students. You should use many varied teaching methods to teach a lesson. Still some students will need additional idividaulized instruction. As a teacher you must provide this instruction to your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment